Sunday, December 16, 2012

Tragedy in Connecticut

I need to write this, but at the same time I know that I cannot really sum up my feelings about this because it hits close to home. Obviously I live in Connecticut, less obviously I am a teacher so this hits really close for me. I was in class, 6th graders, when the reports first started coming in and at the time none of the teachers really knew what was going on, but as the day went on more information started coming in and the picture began to emerge of just how horrific this was. By the end of the day I was in the library and all the teachers were talking to each other about any news that was coming in and at the same time we were trying to keep the students from finding out, so they did not start to panic.
I didn't know anybody directly who was affected by this, but I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if I knew anybody who was teaching there and thankfully I did not. Its Sunday now and I have to think about what the students will be like when I come in. Will they be scared, will they be upset or will they just push it out of their minds and pretend it didn't happen.
Obviously baseball cannot pay tribute to the victims, but highlighting the diversity of Connecticut in sports terms, all six sports teams in action between Boston and New York have or will pay tribute to the victims and the president will speak in Newtown today. Nothing can be said to bring these 26 people back and I do not know if we will ever know exactly why Adam Lanza killed these people, all we can really do is remember those who were killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment